Thursday, May 5, 2011

Homemade Freezer Strawberry Jam


 

"Sprouts," one of the local grocery stores was having a good deal on their strawberries, so I loaded up in hopes of following through and making some strawberry jam. Today, I made it happen. The recipe I used is from my mom, and it is d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s. Warning, if you are diabetic or not a fan of sugar, this is not the recipe for you. For the rest of us, enjoy! :)

Homemade Strawberry Jam

2 cups crushed strawberries
4 cups sugar (yes, 4 cups)
1 box "Surejel" --- I use the generic brand and it turns out fine
3/4 cup water


**Wash and de-stem your strawberries**






**Next, mash strawberries**
I like to put them in a 9x13 pan or cookie sheet to mash.  I also use a simple, ol' potato masher





 **Pour 2 cups mashed strawberries into separate bowl from sugar.
Add sugar to strawberries and mix well. Let sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. **




**In saucepan, combine 3/4 cup water with 1 package "Surejel". Bring to boil on High heat. Stir constantly. Boil 1 minute, stir constantly. Remove from heat.




**Dump "Surejel" into fruit and sugar mixture. Stir for 3 minutes to completely dissolve sugar.**






 **Pour into freezer containers and chill.**


That's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment