After Spring Break, all of the schools in our district switched to online learning to finish out the year. I thought the kids' teachers did well adapting and trying to accommodate a whole different way of providing education. Our kids handled the change okay, but really missed being with their friends. I tried "field-trip Friday" that included watching a video/documentary about a place we wanted to learn more about (since we were still being asked by the government to stay home as much as possible). One Friday, we decided it was in our best interest to learn about ice cream factories. We then made our own ice cream following our online "field trip" to an ice cream factory. A typical school day usually started by 9:00. It would take them 2-4 hours to complete their assigned work. They would also have a virtual meet-up 1-2 times per day. It took some getting use to hearing from my 3rd and 2nd grader, "Mom! I have a conference call at noon that I need to get on!" Felt like we went from grade school to a businessman/woman overnight! :)
I'm grateful that we only had a few months of this online learning and prayed that come Fall, the kids would be able to return to in-person learning. My kids missed their friends and routine of school. I also missed the routine and felt that I was definitely coming up short at times trying to manage their schooling and learning. I laughed at quite a few memes that my friends and I would share as we were all in this online learning together and trying to help each other make it through. I'll share one of my favorites at the end of this post.

No comments:
Post a Comment