Wednesday, October 21, 2009

HGTV--a good thing?

Recently, I have become addicted to HGTV. I love watching pretty much any show on that channel. I was impressed with some furniture painting/refinishing they demonstrated on their shows. Of course, they make it look so simple and it only takes a couple of hours! The wheels in my brain started turning thinking about some old bunk beds we have. Another gal in my ward, Natalie, told me about her successful experience with what I was trying to do and that was enough of a push to get me going!


The "original" bunk bed---Bryan had actually already painted over these once, but then I had my great home improvement idea!



The priming stages



After a few coats of the base paint



The next step was the one that I was most nervous about, applying the glaze. The friendly man at the paint store kindly reassured me that glazes were originally invented to hide the mistakes made while painting. Perfect, something that already looks like you've made a mistake-how can I mess that up?!? :)




The finished product. This is not the best picture to show the bed, but close enough. It took me well over a few hours to complete, but I think I would try it out again. The glaze is actually the fun part! Good thing we're renting right now, or I would be planning the next paint color for the walls. I can't imagine why Bryan isn't thrilled with the thought of moving into a new place!

2 comments:

  1. UMMM, We have some bunkbeds that need to be refinished, and they're screaming your name!!!
    You did a great job. You should be right proud of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm so glad you posted these, I've been anxiously waiting :) They look great! I knew you had the craft bug in you it just needed an opportunity to present itself!

    ReplyDelete